Jun 9, 2011

On Regrets

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, "It might have been."
--John Greenleaf Whittier

Unless we live in the now, we are in danger of suffering the agony of regret. We can't spend all our time thinking "life's not fair." We cannot afford to excuse everything with "what ifs?" We used those words constantly during the years we wasted on obeying compulsions we knew could destroy us.

We remember the years before and accept them as object lessons of what it could be like again if we become careless or complacent. But we don't regret them. Regret only leads to depression and perhaps a return to an unhealthy life. A good friend of mine once remarked that a regret is only a desire for a better past. The past is the past.

We must stop dwelling on the impossibility of undoing the wrongs of yesterday. Instead, we must begin enjoying the "right things" that are now possible in when we are being honest.

It is impossible to relive my past. I can only create a good past now by living this day the best way I can, so that tomorrow I can look back without having to say "It might have been."

4 comments:

Martha Elena said...

beautiful message!

Anonymous said...

Hey Father Paul!

I happened to be name surfing as you came up in conversation a while ago with Raymond Rachner...

Remember me? Mark Kosir :)

I haven't seen or talked to you in ages, and after trying to find you on Facebook (Hm not there), I found u via google. Somehow you look different and the same ;)

My email is mark.kosir@gmail.com if you have time to send me a message

Cheers

TDH said...

Awesome brother! love this one!

Anonymous said...

Awesome awesome Father Paul!