Jan 5, 2011

Why Catholicism Is Good for America

Once in a while I reflect on my seminary days and all the anticipation of the years ahead as a catholic priest. I remember the invitation of a senior priest I know who reminded me simply that "everything I learned in there (the seminary) does not necessarily apply out here (the world.)" I have sought to keep this in mind frequently.

I believe I have predictably found myself a little "left of centre" for most of my life when it comes to the political and social norms of being Catholic. In this I have often found a struggle between teaching the faith as passed on by the Church and balancing it with the lived experience of our people's lives. 

In the midst of catching up with some mail I came across this article from USA Today which tackles the very balancing act I speak about above in a very insightful way.

Tom Krattenmaker, a self-professed non-catholic writes: "Yes, the church could use some changing. But what shouldn't change about this 2-millennia-old religious movement is its inconvenient refusal to forget the poor and vulnerable in these winner-take-all times. Catholicism is not alone in this; indeed, all religion at its best, and secularists, too, have a role and a say. But Catholicism, with its numbers and history and highly relevant teachings, has something unique to offer."

This unique gift has its very core a belief in the common good of every human person. It inevitably leads a person to re-discover one's own integrity that is essential for any real and lasting growth on a personal level.

I am encouraged by articles such as this. I feel similarly to its author that there is much to be gleaned from the Church's teachings but what we lack is an effective delivery system. The message is clear but the manner in which we teach it remains open to be formed in a new and effective manner. 

For those who wish the complete article can be found here. 

No comments: