Oct 16, 2012

New Bishop Tells It As It Is

A prophetic voice from Malta - this is from the Vatican's former cleric who dealt with the Church's response to clerical abuse by clergy. Newly appointed Auxiliary Bishop in Malta:
“We have a product which is extraordinary and we have to get our act together to bring it to as many people as possible. The way we [communicate] things at times is a total disaster and we have to be humble and say, ‘we need to do better.’ We need to start using language that people understand.... We need to tell people we are not here to impose, but that we are here to propose.
        - Bishop Scicluna, Auxiliary Bishop of Malta

If nothing else this provides me with a challenge to look at the manner in which I communicate the gospel to those entrusted to my care. Consider carefully the language we find ourselves using in the new liturgy since November of last year.

I, myself, have trouble comprehending what I am reading in the missal. Lord help those who's first language is not "church legalese." 

Well said, Bishop Scicluna! Congrats on your new appointment. The faithful in Malta are blessed indeed.