Oct 18, 2012

Thought for the Day: On Questioning Ourselves

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
--Albert Einstein


We sometimes like to think we know it all. We have grandiose ideas about ourselves. We stop asking hard questions that could cause our fragile world of make-believe and deviousness to come crashing down. We protect ourselves by fleeing from the questions that could start us on the road to growth and fullness of life.

One day the questions flooded in unchecked. Why am I out of control? How come I can't look my beloved in the eye? Why don't I have time for my friends? Why do I get irritated with my children? Why do I feel so bad about myself, so filled with shame? Why can't I cope? Why is my life unmanageable?

Unmanageable? When we feel this question deeply, then we are already on the road to recovery, for we know we can't continue to go it alone. The question suggests an answer; we need others, a different system of support, a direction and purpose for life, we need God, serenity, love.

This is what we really want & need.

Learning to be honest means continuing to ask questions about ourselves and our situation in the world.

No comments: